"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." ~ Dame Agatha Christie



Sunday, March 9, 2008

Yesterday was Art Day for Me...

Once a month I get the honor of playing with paper arts (usually card ideas) with some dear friends. David graciously opens his studio on a Saturday afternoon and we all come for ideas, project sharing, and the opportunity to work with tools and stamps we may not have at home. It's wonderful!!!!! Only paper artists can cut, paste and color to our heart's content no matter how old we get in years (okay--we can add preschool/kindergarten teachers to that list I suppose). Seriously, I believe my ability to "think young" is due in large part to playing with color--colored paper, paints, markers, crayons--and I get to cut and glue, too!

David is my source for wonderful, white-core cardstock and other Close to My Heart products, so I want to plug him shamelessly here: http://www.davidm.myctmh.com/ especially since I seem to be a collector of CTMH MyAcrylics Stamps!

We actually spent time yesterday talking "Angel Policy" as a couple of us were expressing the desire to sell completed cards. Beverly, one of the group who has done craft booths in the past, has become a dear friend, so I know I'll be leaning on her wealth of knowledge as I pursue marketing some of my work. Although after seeing a selection of her cards yesterday, I'm not so sure I've got as much talent as I originally thought!

And we were also blessed to have Karen, our newlywed Stampin' Up consultant with us yesterday. Their cardstock is my other obsession; whenever I want solid-core papers, I pull out my SU! and start tearing away! Karen is reachable at http://www.karenpruett.stampinup.net/ and is my primary source for wood-mounted stamps.

So--back to the "Angel Policy". I've been in business before, so I know much of what has to be done tax-wise and with legalities such as city codes. I'm reasonably good at public relations and marketing. I now am faced with "studying the fine print" before proceeding with saleable stock. Not following rules puts negative karma into the universe and I certainly need no more of that LOL!

Yesterday was a total learning experience even if very little actual art was accomplished. I die-cut some shamrocks for cards to send and made a wonderful tag card with supplies provided by Karen. That card actually gave me the basis for an ATC idea for my Red Hatter buddies...

I also got a quick education in digital cameras versus scanners. Let's list the pros/cons and make a buying decision, shall we???? I have a perfectly servicable printer for the moment. I have no extra space at present to add a scanner. Digital cameras are now quite reasonable in price. My PC has the ability to download most memory cards direct into the PC. Digital prints are cheaper printed elsewhere than on a home PC. Looking at it on paper, the camera is the way to go, so I'll be spending the next few weeks also looking into purchasing a camera.

All in all, I cannot think of a way to have spent a Saturday afternoon that would have provided me with more fun or more knowledge all at the same time. I love my art buddies!

No comments:

Post a Comment