"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." ~ Dame Agatha Christie



Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Books Read 2008

I am a devotee of Paperback Swap (http://www.paperbackswap.com/), and I have decided to keep a log of books read this year. Here's the list for January 2008 in chronological order:

Bound for Murder by Laura Childs (a keeper for sure!)
New Orleans Mourning by Julie Smith (first of a series--another keeper)
Mozzarella Most Murderous by Nancy Fairbanks (another series I collect)
The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders by Nancy Pickard
Murder Most Frothy and Latte Trouble both by Cleo Coyle (I keep them all!)
Face Down Upon a Herbal by Kathy Lynn Emerson (new to me but I want the series)
Magyk by Angie Sage (Young Adult--the rest of the series is on my PBS wish list)
The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett (my worst January read; I don't understand the hype)
The Poyson Garden by Karen Harper (great Elizabethan mystery; want the series)
The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (fantastic stand-alone story)
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (started my annual re-read of this series)
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (I love Jamie and Claire!)

In February, I finished the following:

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon (volume 3 of the Fraser time travel saga I read at least once a year!)
The Scottish Rose by Jill Jones (time travel romance--looking for more by this author)
Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (Jamie and Claire and tears and laughter)
Beads of Trouble by Barbara Burnett Smith (okay since I'm a proud Texan but not a keeper)
The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon (love the McKenzies too!)
A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon (please, please hurry with volume 7)
Love in Vein edited by Poppy Z. Brite (couldn't wait to mail it off again; love Poppy as an author but this was horrid and gory and I couldn't enjoy any of the eroticism for the weird...)
Beads of Doubt by Barbara Burnett Smith (nothing memorable except for the Texas setting and the emphasis on the need for funding for cancer research (cervical cancer? see, I said the story wasn't memorable)
The Gourmet Detective by Peter King (first of a new "keeper" series; learned a lot about food, mystery authors, and classical music all while being surprised by a plot--talk about multi-level reading LOL!)
Charmed Destinies (a trio of novellas headed by Mercedes Lackey--all were awesome!)
Death on a Family Tree by Patricia Sprinkle (loved it and hope it's a series)

So, not too shabby for the first two months of 2008, even if most of these are "cozy mysteries", the sheer number of pages in the Outlander series is staggering. I have discovered seven new series to explore and hopefully collect (at least in paperback), and only suffered 2 huge disappointments--Terry Pratchett's Discworld may be visited by me again thru the library but won't warrant purchasing and I know to stay away from the more erotic volumes of Poppy Z. Brite (her New Orleans-based novels Liquor and Soul Kitchen are wonderful!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment