"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." ~ Dame Agatha Christie



Monday, March 3, 2008

History is Closer Than I Sometimes Realize

I was dealing with a software issue today at work when my client made the comment "Oh, the wonders of technology," in a rather disgruntled tone. We laughed, and I was astonished to realize that I remember heavy, black rotary dial phones--the only choice being wall or desk models. We had Exchanges--not Area Codes. Princess phones were a huge fad for a while, then lo and behold, they developed push-button technology!!! Exchanges such as FRanklin or TAylor were translated to digits--FR1-2345 became 371-2345 and TA4-5678 was now 824-5678. A second extension was sometimes (if you had been very good and studious in school) allowed in your bedroom once you reached your mid-teens. Mind you, it wasn't a separate number, but you could talk without standing in the kitchen (before 9 PM of course).


I could go on and on but this has suggested a new project for me--a mini book showing the ways I have been able to communicate throughout my years. Adopted children like me can't always pass conventional genealogies to their descendants, but personal history is another matter. Has there ever been another generation since the Renaissance when technology has developed as far as fast? What a Blessing to live in such an age! And what a greater Blessing to realize that all this communication is nothing more than a way to produce more noise and stress unless a person has the strength and presence of mind to set communication boundaries.



(to be continued)...

No comments:

Post a Comment