"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." ~ Dame Agatha Christie



Thursday, September 11, 2008

Icky Feelings Behind Ike

Well, www.weather.com is predicting all sorts of severe weather even into northeast Texas due to Hurricane Ike.
 
A well-meaning friend sent the standard hurricane preparation e-mail around at work today, and I lost it.  Tears and all, I even called my boss to see if I could have part of Friday night off (before any of the weather is even scheduled to be here). 
 
Gratefully, she has some common sense and a soothing manner.  She knows I live on the second floor in a well-built apartment complex and that my building has both a building to the south of me and one to the north, so that my balcony and front door are somewhat concealed from bad weather.  Her practical suggestions included listening to music or watching movies rather than the radio or TV, and working my regular schedule to stay busy.
 
She's right of course--I allowed the "what if's" to take over for a moment or two...thanks to the Creator for good friends who are supportive but who also don't allow me to lose self-confidence.
 
To all those in the path of Ike...my thoughts and prayers are with you...stay safe...leave if you need to; possessions are not the important thing, people (and pets) are...
 
Blessings to all...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment