"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." ~ Dame Agatha Christie



Monday, January 17, 2011

Acrylic Paint Snow

I've never been a painter, but somehow I have a ton of acrylic craft paints.  The Jingle Belles Challenge this week is Use, Practice, Create with acrylic paints--easy, right?  Not for me...I'm not the do-over type at all, so there are a few things I might change here should I decide to make more of these, but once more, the card looks much better in person.  Not Quite Navy cardstock (Stampin' Up!) is the base and a very coarse sponge was used to make the snow out of white acrylic paint.  The SU! retired hostess set Pattered Pines was used for the trees--I stamped them multiple times in SU! Garden Green ink and simply eyeballed them on top of one another over and over until they were as dark as I needed.  The bottom of the card is actually embossed in white so the texture could be felt (I used Versamark ink direct-to-paper so that it wasn't perfectly smooth and SU! white embossing powder).  The Garden Green cardstock strip was crimped and the saying was actually from using a marker on one section of a stamp from "Seasons of Joy" that was then punched with the Modern Label extra-large punch and mounted using Stampin' Dimensionals.

Finally, I lightly sponged Not Quite Navy over the top of the "snow" and rubbed softly with a paper towel.  Sometimes less is more, so I left off any embellishments, which will make this card easy to mail.

6 comments:

  1. Look at you rocking the acrylic paint ... I love that fabulous winter scene ... so very peaceful. Thanks so much for breaking out those paints ... and joining our Jingle Belle fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very arty, I'm impressed, and you are right, less is more. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, i cannot for the life of me think *WHAT* you would even consider doing over??!!? (so i'm glad you're NOT doing it!) love♥LOVE♥LOooOoOOOOoooOoove the spongy, painty white "snowscape" on that dark and dramatic blue cardstock; and then the stamped trees on top are awesome! it's like monet moved from paris to montreal...and deployed his pointillist genius on snowy pines instead of waterlillies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is so pretty. It almost looks like a painting. This is totally one of my fav hand made Christmas cards I've seen its so Impressionistic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really came out well, I like the texture of it and it's design is so clean and simple - really eyecatching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is flippin AWESOME! I love the soft effect you got!!

    ReplyDelete