"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." ~ Dame Agatha Christie



Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Personal Progress Report

It is four years since Katrina. I got to Dallas with a small suitcase of clothes and my laptop (which was stolen before year's end). Having friends here meant a floor to sleep on but also made me ineligible for assistance from the American Red Cross (needless to say, they are not a charity I support).

I've moved twice due to apartment complexes being razed. It's funny; the first one is still boarded up and empty--they kicked us all out before getting their zoning variance--so I now have a bigger apartment for less rent (I am indeed Blessed).

I've re-gained the 130 pounds I had lost while living in New Orleans (basically because I am back to working a desk job and now don't even have a daily commute to keep me actively walking). My health is good even with the weight gain and I have purchased some exercise equipment; now all I need is motivation LOL!

In October, I will celebrate four years on the job I was Blessed to find. Steady raises and the ability to telecommute plus periodic recognition (like gift cards for each six months of perfect attendance) means I won't leave there unless they force me out ;-)

The stolen laptop has been replaced and I even found a hard copy of the novel I had started writing in New Orleans; I am writing again. My characters often have a mind of their own so I live part-time in their world (and what an exciting place it is turning out to be).

Replacing my craft supplies led me into selling Stampin' Up! for the discount (shameless plug here--I will not turn away online orders; my website is here and we have some great holiday items for sale for a limited time only).

My library lost in New Orleans has been more than replicated--thanks to Paperback Swap, I have all my annual re-reads available again and with friends who read voraciously and then pass their books along, my TBR "pile" has now become a TBR "mountain" (not complaining at all, mind you--I love to be surrounded by the written word).

Friends come and go as humans all grow in different directions; new friends appear to replace the old and life revolves around; I keep my plates spinning in the air--I am grateful for all my responsibilities today for they show just how far I have come in four short years...

1 comment:

  1. I'm ready to read some chapters. I'm still convinced you're going to be a published author and I'm you're No.1 cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete