"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." ~ Dame Agatha Christie



Sunday, January 9, 2011

Countdown to Christmas 2011

I confess--I let Christmas 2010 preparations slide off into the pile of "good intentions" and never got my cards made even for friends, much less co-workers.  I of course used the excuse of renovation, then of NaNoWriMo and lastly of work, but in reality, pre-planning and less procrastination would have done wonders.

I already knew of (and visited from time to time) the great Christmas challenge blog, Bah! Humbug! (I had even played once) but I always let other things come before crafting last year.  Now, I have found a second Christmas challenge blog has just started (thanks, Sue for pointing us to this one on your great blog).  Jingle Belles are a couple of very talented women who are encouraging us to make a card a week (that's now 48 before Christmas--more than enough for my office and close friends LOL).

I had already decided to play at Bah! Humbug! and had decided on a gift card holder featuring holly.  Adding in the Jingle Belles challenge of inchies on a card seemed reasonable, so here's what I am entering for both blogs.  All papers, stamps, and punches are Stampin' Up!

This is the front of the holder; it is based on a great video tutorial from Holly over at Rubber Redneck but with several changes...the Always Artichoke inchies on the front are mounted on a belly band made of Crumb Cake.  The patterned papers are the recently retired Deck the Halls DSP and the stamps for the front are from the Tags for Christmas set which was also in the just-ended Holiday Mini.  Sorry I don't have measurements for anything--one of my best friends says I am way too OCD for my own good when I make cards and has encouraged me to "loosen up" and that's what I have done here.  I eyeballed everything, once I made sure the interior pockets would be nestled in well.  Speaking of the interior...

Here is the inside bottom flap (yes, I know--I need a photography class fast LOL...I promise to read my camera manual soon and also get a lesson in using my light box).  The green strip is actually the front of the bottom flap...I tried folding the top flap back all the way so it wouldn't show in the photo but couldn't seem to get it to hold still long enough to take my hand away, so pretend the top holly piece isn't there, okay?  You'll see it for real when you look at the inside picture below...
And finally, the inside.  The pouch is a Very Vanilla medium envelope that was sealed shut, then cut in half, so where the finger hole is on the middle panel, there are two pockets--one for a gift card and one for a hand-written note (or if the recipient is really special, a gift card in each pocket LOL).  The stamps on the bottom are from the Bells and Boughs set (again, recently retired--I still had all these things out so before storing them away, I decided to use them).  The red I used throughout is Cherry Cobbler--I love that color; it is a true blood-red and gorgeous!

So, I have one Christmas card/gift down for 2011...come join us at Bah! Humbug! and Jingle Belles, then we can all rest easy after Thanksgiving knowing we have our holiday cards done ;-)

8 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!! I love the colors, and turning the squares on end to make them diamonds! GENIUS! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo Hoo!
    Well done on completing your first 2011 Bah! Humbug! Challenge Linda. Hopefully we can persuade you to join in with more of our challenges throughout this year and by the time December rolls around, you'll be sitting pretty with a whole host of fabulous projects just like this one. Thank you for sharing with us at Bah! Humbug! and good luck in the prize draw.

    Luv'n'Stuff
    Max
    xx
    Max's Craft Creations
    Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm very impressed. Your friend had good advice on the loosening up. Very creative, love the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to make a gift card holder!! I've never made one of those. And I love the paper you chose, those greens & reds are just stunning together. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Linda and a fantastic idea to combine challenges - I always try to do that too. Hope you'll continue to join us at Bah! Humbug! throughout the year. Good luck in the draw. See you soon.
    Annxxx
    Bah! Humbug! DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow! this is a brilliant work of *ENGINEERING* as well as a fabulously creative inchie design! love it! so thrilled you've found us at JINGLE BELLES and are joining in the fun--we're going to have a GREAT year...and then an even BETTER december!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never have thought to add that holly image to a square but you fit it perfectly that way! Bravo. Great job with the challenges.

    ReplyDelete