"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." ~ Dame Agatha Christie



Sunday, January 10, 2010

Let's Celebrate!

And what are we celebrating?  I am entering my first Challenges!  One of my BFFs over at GottHeartArt has said for ages that I make challenge-worthy items, so here goes.  Of course, speaking of challenges, photography is a huge challenge for me.  Trust me, this little pouch looks much better in person; it seems anywhere I am in my home that has blank wall space ends up with a green or yellow tint to the background.  If I am going to post more challenges, I need to do two things--1) learn how to use all the features on my camera and 2) set up a spot with a decent easel to take post-worthy photos.

Anyway, here it is.  A small gift pouch based on a great You Tube video from Monica's Passions (I love her accent too).  I made my pouch bigger by using a 8 1/2" square of paper.  The SU! Sending Love Specialty Paper (from the Occasions catalog) is glittered on one side, so instead of simply folding the pouch, I also used some SNAIL to keep it all folded neatly.  The Chocolate Chip edge was glued to each edge of the back side of the front flap and the brad holding the bow goes thru the front flap and the two folded sides, but not all the way thru the pouch front which keeps the inside of the pouch neat. 


I put a slight curl to the back edge (my idea) and crunched the bottom as Monica suggested.  Since I am bow-challenged, Monica's idea for affixing bows using brads absolutely ROCKS!

Other products used (all SU!) are the wonderful Pretty in Pink Sending Love Epoxy Brads, both Pretty in Pink and Chocolate Chip Classic Inks, Chocolate Chip Taffeta Ribbon, and one of my all-time favorite punches, the Curly Label

And although I have always liked the wood-mounted stamps from Stampin" Up! they are truly rocking it with the new clear-mount, red rubber stamps, like this "With All My Heart" set.  That's where the punched label's background came from, while the saying belongs to the "On Your Birthday" wood-mounted set.

So, in for a penny, in for a pound.  Now, if I have figured out the Mr. Linky thing (another challenge for me--I sometimes get totally baffled by some of the simplest PC tasks), this seems to fit three Challenges:

1)     Stampin' Royalty -- Birthday Theme Challenge (Their first challenge)

2)     2 Red Bananas -- Banana Split Sunday Challenge "Think Round"

3)     52-Card Pickup --  Make It Count

52-Card Pickup is a totally new blog, and I had originally thought to enter this in their first challenge but they have already posted #2.  I still think it fits the post theme of aims and goals and choices, don't you?

Stampin' Royalty is new, too.  Somehow, new challenge blogs don't seem to be quite as intimidating to a challenge newbie LOL. 

I'm hoping the round edge to the stamp on the tag and the curved bottom help qualify this as "Think Round" for 2 Red Bananas--if not, well, there is always the brad and I will have lived and learned.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! I really like your project, and hooray for you for being brave and jumping into the world of challenges! If it helps, know that you can link to any of the 52 Card Pickup challenges whenever you want - there's no time limit! Thanks for the encouraging words and for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is too cute. I'm excited that your first challenge entry was to our first challenge posted! Here's to many more! Excellent job... thanks for playing with us at Stampin' Royalty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. You do great work. Don't you just love this new DSP?? Thanks for the shout out to our blog and thanks for playing with us at Stampin' Royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl-this is totally challenge worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Welcome to challenges:) Thanks for playing the 2RedBananas challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute pouch! I love the colours/products you choose to use!
    I am so glad your first challenge was our first challenge too! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Stampin' Royalty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute idea! I'm glad you chose us as one of your first challenges! Thanks for playing along with us at Stampin' Royalty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little pouch :) Thanks for joining us in the 2RedBananas challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your first project and it fits into 3 challenges?? You go girl!! This is a wonderful project and I can't wait to see what else you'll be sharing with us!

    See you over at 52 Card Pick Up!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda thanks for your lovely comment on Bah! Humbug! I quite agree work can really get in the way of serious crafting. I start a new job next week after having a gap year (look there are no rule about gap years having to be in your 20s lol) and I don't when I'm going to do the crafting! eek.

    I love your pocket - infact I'm going to check out the link as I fancy doing one of those myself. I know you can't join in our challenge this week but I hope (time allowing ) we'll see you in the future.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty! I love the brad in the middle of that bow! Gorgeous gift pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty ... I use two pieces of presentation board (like foam poster board) when I take pictures so I always have white underneath and in the back.

    ReplyDelete