"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." ~ Dame Agatha Christie



Sunday, August 2, 2009

Great Green Products!

Ya'll know I'm a 3R's kinda gal (and yes, this post has a Texas twang to it; I don't feel "proper" today LOL!)

Anyway, I ran errands yesterday and realized that I am truly starting to put my money where my mouth is...recycled products are getting easier to find all the time and the price points are getting better.

School will be starting soon and I use this time of year to satisfy my cravings for office and crafting supplies on the cheap (is there anything more heavenly than the smell of a brand-new box of Crayola crayons?? Preferably the biggest box available LOL)

For the past couple of months, I have been buying Marcal toilet paper by the case from Staples (although it is available other places, I have it delivered along with other things as case lots of anything are hard to transport when you ride the bus). When I tell folks it is recycled, they really give me a strange look--I guess I should say it is made from 100% recycled paper. It is also safe for septic tanks and is processed without chlorine bleaching. (For people who use paper towels, I believe they also provide that product as well.)

I also needed aluminum foil and can no longer find the individual foil sheets by Reynolds that I have used for years ( I use foil very sparingly and one box would last me almost a full 365 days). When scrutinizing the paper products aisle at Walmart, I found the new recycled foil by Reynolds, made from 100% recycled aluminum. The box is 100% recycled paperboard, printed in soy inks and 50 feet cost me .48 more than the generic. (I should inject here that I usually will NOT buy generic foil--it is often so thin and tears so easily that for my purposes, one layer of "good" foil is cheaper in the long run than two layers of generic--YMMV).

Then I hit the school supplies. Many companies are jumping on the "green" bandwagon (finally--we who had parents/grandparents who lived through the Great Depression grew up with "use it until it wears out" and Girl Scouts were always environmentally conscious--but I digress...). Avery has a series of recycled chipboard 3-ring binders that are not only really nice but as they are chipboard, they are very easy to personalize. I found these at Walmart in a great muted red and a muted green. Staples had satisfied my binder needs earlier however, again with an Avery product--these are even cooler! Available in black, blue and green, they are not only recycled chipboard, but they are made in such a way that you can unscrew the metal rivets and recycle the ring assembly with your metals and the chipboard with your paper products! How awesome is that!!! And again, they are totally easy to personalize...I used sticker letters on the spine to categorize my novel notes--one binder for locales, one for battles, one for the Confederacy, etc. (Oops--digressing again LOL)

I guess I need to emphasize that I do NOT get any financial compensation for anything I endorse (or any links I post for products/companies; well, if you order through my Stampin' Up! website, I do receive compensation as a demonstrator, but that is not the focus of these other posts)...these are just products that excite me and I like to share my excitement...

1 comment:

  1. It's to bad you can't get compensated, you're very good at finding bargains.

    ReplyDelete